Our Schools

Church Schools

THE PARISH OF WHITEHAVEN HAS TWO CHURCH SCHOOLS- The St. James' Infant School and The St. James' Junior School, both of which are adjacent to St. James' Church.

The Parish maintains close links with them, and both schools have regular Church Services, and a joint service at the end of term.

We also have links with Bransty Primary School (the other school in our Parish) where we take regular assemblies.

There is also a Pre-school which meets in the Community Centre daily in School term. Please see the Community Centre page of this website for full details.

ST. JAMES'  INFANTS SCHOOL-This is on High Street, opposite the church.

The first Infant School was built in 1875, and much enlarged in 1900. The current buildings date from 1962.

The headteacher is Mrs Jill Eaton,who can be contacted on 01946 691970. The number on roll as at June 2016 is 130. 

The school is also a collection point for North Lakes Foodbank.

Please click here for the school website http://www.st-james-inf.cumbria.sch.uk

ST. JAMES' JUNIOR SCHOOL-This is on Wellington Row, just behind the church.

The origins of the school were in the National School, first planned in 1817 under the influence of the then Vicar, Reverend Richard Armitstead but not opened until 1824. It was the second school in the town, until then education had only been for the well to do at small private academies. Piper's Marine School on High Street opened about a year sooner.

Originally there were separate Boys and Girls Schools, with accommodation (by the early 20th century) for 561 pupils. The premises were remodelled into a multisex school, now for 300 pupils in 1928 to 1929.

The current premises date from 1966/1967. The number on roll as at June 2016 is 170.

The headteacher is Mr Andrew Beattie who can be contacted on 01946 695311.

Please click here for the school website http://www.stjamesjun.cumbria.sch.uk/cumbria/primary/stjames

BRANSTY PRIMARY SCHOOL-This is on Mona Road, Bransty

The headteacher is Joanne Fearon who can be contacted on 01946 63590

Please click here for the school website http://www.bransty.cumbria.sch.uk/